{SITE-NAME} Logo
The Police
Message Type Icon

Local News


A dispersal order was in place for the Thorpe Industrial Estate from between the hours of 6am on Saturday 29 March and 5.59am on Monday 31 March. This was granted following a number of cases of anti-social behaviour (ASB) and crime related incidents in the area. The order means that officers can direct someone who is believed to be committing or may commit any of these offences to leave the area, and failing to do so would be an arrestable offence. Our neighbourhood teams patrolled the areas during these times and were working with our partners and other security teams. Where children are involved, the team are also working with organisations to help redirect them committing ASB towards positive activities to prevent further issues.

 

PC Batzakas and team have been patrolling Virginia Water and engaging with the local community.

 

On Wednesday 26 March, the Elmbridge Safer Neighbourhood Team visited Esher College to help students and staff register their bikes with the 'BikeRegister' app. This app not only deters thieves by placing a small but visible bar code onto the bike, but also means that should a stolen bike be located, then it can easily be returned to its owner.

 

An art teacher who used his position to sexually abuse young boys during the late 1970s and 1980s was sentenced to 15 years' imprisonment when he appeared at Hull Crown Court on 26 March. Terrence James Waters, 82, (DOB: 17/06/1942) from Driffield in East Yorkshire, was sentenced after pleading guilty to and being convicted of 36 non-recent offences, including indecent assault, gross indecency with a child and buggery. The case involved 14 complainants aged between seven and 13 years at the time, who all provided evidence of being abused by Waters over more than a decade at the former Allen House Prep School in Hook Heath, Woking. Waters was able to use his position as a teacher to target young boys, with the abuse taking place in the art building, which was located away from the main school building and contained a darkroom for developing photographs, and a specially constructed loft area. He also organised camping trips in the school holidays where further abuse took place. Waters would take naked photographs of his victims in exchange for favours or payment, or on a false pretence that they were modelling for sculptures or for book covers. In a statement which was read out in court, one of the victims said: “These events stole an important part of my childhood innocence. His actions have had a profound effect on my life that has lasted right up to this day. The emotional toll is something that no amount of money can repair.” Another victim said: "Abuse twists your relationship with the world. It takes a beautiful and innocent time, and it scars it. It changes the way you look at physical relationships. I tried to lock those feelings away. Of course, they come to the surface in other ways.” Detective Inspector Ross Linaker, who led the investigation, said: “Waters was a sexual predator who used his position as a trusted member of staff at a well-respected school to abuse and violate innocent young boys. “The outcome in the court today is the result of a lengthy and complex investigation and shows that no matter how long ago the abuse took place, we will always carry out a thorough investigation to seek justice and ensure perpetrators are punished for their actions."

 

A former officer whose abuse of position and inappropriate behaviour towards a vulnerable victim of crime committed a “betrayal of trust and expectation of the police”, according to the judge who sentenced him earlier on 26 March at Winchester Crown Court. At the hearing, Judge Dugdale said that former Police Constable Ross Martin, 35, had only escaped an immediate custodial sentence by pleading guilty to one count of misconduct in a public office at an earlier hearing held on 3 February. Martin was given a two-month custodial sentence suspended for 18 months and was issued with a five-year restraining order against the victim, as well as being ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and pay a £250 fine. The offence involved a number of incidents which occurred over a two-week period in January 2024, during which Martin behaved inappropriately towards a vulnerable victim of crime, engaging in multiple phone calls and messages of a sexual nature, and clearly taking advantage of the victim’s vulnerabilities. Judge Dugdale described Martin’s behaviour towards the victim while on public duty as “unprofessional” and said he should have “supported the victim as a professional” in the way that the public expect of police officers. Martin resigned from the Force on 25 February, just before an accelerated gross misconduct hearing took place on 28 February, which found that his actions amounted to gross misconduct and breached the Standards of Professional Behaviour in relation to discreditable conduct. The chair of the hearing determined that had Martin still been a serving officer, he would have been dismissed and directed that he should be placed on the College of Policing barred list.

Detective Chief Inspector James Ansell from Surrey Police’s Anti-Corruption Unit, said: “Criminal offences committed by our officers and staff simply cannot be condoned. Allegations against any of our officers or staff are always subject to a thorough investigation to ensure that those who do not meet the high standards expected of them to in order to maintain public trust and confidence are dealt with swiftly and robustly. “We recognise the impact this case will have both on the Surrey public and our own officers and staff, particularly with the current focus on standards. Thankfully, the majority of our officers and staff come to work each day to protect the public and do so with honesty and integrity.”

 

 

We’re used to seeing Crime Scene Investigators on the TV but what does the role really involve? CSI Amber-Louise Atkinson explains a bit more about her job and how she achieved her dream following a school careers chat. She said she is responsible for examining crime scenes to gather and preserve forensic evidence, such as DNA – blood (and other bodily fluids, hair, skin cells), TRACE – Hair, fibres, glass, paint samples, tool marks, fingerprints – both at scenes and taking them from people and footwear marks. Some scenes she attends can be very distressing and therefore more challenging. When at scenes she assesses visually and combines this with information received to establish what she believes has occurred. She had various career chats at school, but she remember the one about being a CSI the most. From that moment on she knew that’s what she wanted to do. She began working for Surrey Police on the switchboard in 2012, when she was 17 years old. She doesn’t have a degree and found it very difficult to get a role as a CSI. She applied to various forces multiple times and became quite disheartened. She spoke to a Senior CSI in Sussex, and he confirmed that she didn’t need a degree, but she did need something else to bring to the role and suggested she get more experience within Surrey Police. She then worked hard to get a job in the Force Control Room, doing the assessment day three times before passing. She stayed there until she finally got the job as a CSI based at Surrey Police HQ, where she has been since 2018 until now. 

 


Reply to this message

Message Sent By
Carolyn Anstey
(Police, Office Manager, Runnymede)

Neighbourhood Alert Cyber Essentials